Curricular Links: Physical Education, Social Studies, Mathematics
The Big Idea
Angela Chalmers’ interest in running as a young girl was the catalyst in one day becoming a world class middle distance runner. Knowledge she gained as an Aboriginal person allowed her to learn and follow any traditional native beliefs. With competitive running, she not only focused on the physical aspects of her sport, but identified with the social, emotional, spiritual and cultural aspects as well. This balance enabled her to become and remain one of Canada’s greatest runners.
- Understand there is more to running than just the physical aspects
- Appreciate the mental and emotional elements of distance running
- Use distance running as a way to obtain quality physical exercise
- Chart their progress in a running program
- Complete their daily physical requirements