Every Problem Has a Solution
Did you Know?
Norma Foster fought against society’s idea that women could not participate equally in sports. Students will learn how she battled discrimination to succeed in the world of karate.
- First woman in Aberdeen, Scotland to earn a black belt in Karate
- First woman referee for World Karate Federation
- First woman on World Karate Federation referee council
- Seventh-degree black belt in the Wado-Ryu style of karate
- Helped establish women’s karate team events for the first time in 1983
- National Karate Association champion, kumite and kata, 1984, 1985, 1986
- Was a competitive swimmer up until the age of 14. When she was told she was not good enough, Norma took up Karate