Dare to be Different
Induction Year: 1989
Sport: Track & Field
Did You Know?
Debbie Brill has won over 65 national and international championships.
- Brill burst into the international prominence in 1969 by winning at the Pan Pacific Games in Japan
- From there it was on to three Olympic Games (1972-8th, 1976-DNK, 1984-5th)
- Four Commonwealth Games (1970-gold, 1978-silver, 1982-gold, 1986-5th)
- Three Pan American Games (1971-gold, 1974-4th, 1979-silver)
- And two World Cup Games (1972-bronze, 1979-gold). Brill has won over 65 national and international championships
- It was at the 1979 World Cup in Montreal that Debbie had a psychological and technical breakthrough in her approach and confidently became World Champion
- A controversial, enduring athlete, and a unique woman, she became an Officer of the Order of Canada in 1983 and has been the recipient of many awards